To Carpet or Not to Carpet: Our List of Pros and Cons
If we were moving into a new house today, we would gravitate towards those without carpet or make existing carpet removal one of the first items on our to-do list. When we build new homes, we typically choose to not carpet floors, unless there is a definitive reason we must for comfort purposes. And then as homeowners, we purchase area rugs to soften rooms and make sitting on the floor more comfortable. So why not just carpet?
Here are the pros and cons of carpets:
– Carpet adds warmth, color and comfort to a room
– It can also provide added insulation for heat and from sound
– It is less expensive than hardwood or tile flooring
– Carpet holds dust and other allergens that can be problematic for those with respiratory challenges
– It is a conducive environment for dust mites and other pests
– It can retain moisture creating mold that can be toxic for those with allergies
– It is difficult to clean
– It captures stains and odors, particularly in households with pets and children
Are you in the ‘to’ or ‘not to’ camp?